Monday, July 9, 2012

summer classes

Don't you just hate those days where you forget you have something to do? I think I subconsciously set the tempo of my days based on whether I have to do something in the evening or not. Today, I forgot I have a class at 5:30, so I've been taking some time getting things done for my business, thinking I'll have the evening to relax a bit. Well, there went that plan. And now my drive to do anything work-related is faltering, since I know I won't get home 'til nine, and will only have about an hour before my self-inflicted bedtime. And I have to take the non-air-conditioned car again. Ick.

At least it's just my elective Illustration class, so despite my constant complaining, it should be fun. But still, we're working with oil tonight, and I have about zero experience with oil. Worse, I think most of the rest of the class has taken Foundations II, and therefore not only knows about oil and acrylics, but also how to properly do color and value. Being more of a novice than much of the rest of the class is definitely a stressful situation for me. I want to give myself a chance to make mistakes, to be able to look at other student's work and use it as a challenge to do better, but my mental conversations usually turn out more like "You want to be an Illustrator, but your work in a medium you've never used before looks like that? Compare yourself to this person over here who specializes in oil and has also been committed to this for longer, and then go apply at McDonald's".

Oh crap. And I was supposed to write a blog post for something completely different today too. Bah. I don't think evening classes are good for me. Morning classes leave me with the rest of the day to get stuff done after, but evening classes somehow make it so I have no time to do anything. Probably because I sleep in too late. Well, I should go write that other blog post before class, then make sure I have all my art supplies in one place.

--
Listening to: Wechselbalg by ASP. I'm definitely in a German music kick right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stir up the dust--leave a comment, start a discussion, or tell me about your cats!