Wednesday, September 7, 2011

taking back my real name

About a year ago, this blog (and most of my online profiles) went through a big change. Namely, I stopped using my real name, and instead adopted the online persona of Gwendydd ar Adain.

I did this for several reasons; one small one was the blogs I was keeping at that point weren't very professional, and I didn't want them showing up on employer searches. Also, I was just a bit worried about how much of myself I was putting on the internet. I wanted to try out being me without the consequences of being me in real life (a big part of this is my being queer and living in Mormon Utah). So I switched over to Gwen.

However, lately I've been thinking about this more and more. I'm a writer, my name is going to be my brand, and an online presence is very important for writers in today's market. So why would I hide behind a pseudonym that I don't intend to put on my stories?

So from now on, I'll be using my real name. And I hope to one day post here that you can find stories under that name in a magazine or on a website, or that my novel will be in bookstores soon. Just look for Danica West.

--
Listening to: Astronaut by Amanda Palmer. Writer that I am, I don't think words can express how much I love this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stir up the dust--leave a comment, start a discussion, or tell me about your cats!