Tuesday, March 13, 2012

leave a message after the (text) tone

Okay, that title really makes no sense. But basically, this blog is to highlight the latest project I did for my design class, where we used text as value (tone). Here's a link to the picture, which you can click on to make it huge: http://armyofgnomes.deviantart.com/art/text-tones-self-portrait-290078115

There are five values (six, if you count the background). This is where you're supposed to guess what they all are.

Tone 1: paper white
Tone 2: katakana
Tone 3: script
Tone 4: kanji
Tone 5: black

Extra tone: background kanji







Need help?
Here are some hints to help you guess:

Tone 2: Mitarashi dango! (I really don't expect anyone to get this one, but people sometimes surprise me!)
Tone 3: look below my eyebrow (top right) for a fairly recognizable line
Tone 4: Read this line out loud. Can you count the syllables? Then you have your clue.
Background: Hmm. I can't think of a good hint here. Read the kanji? One uses the 'on' reading, and one uses the 'kun'.









All right, give up? Here are the answers (highlight to see them):

Tone 2: In the manga D.Gray Man, the main character Allen loves to eat. The kana is his first order after he reaches the Black Order headquarters. I think you can read 'tofu' and 'beef stew' in there somewhere.
Tone 3: Bits of various Emily Dickinson poems, with a little bit of Robert Frost. The line right under my eyebrow is: "If I can stop one heart from breaking/I shall not live in vain;"
Tone 4: Various Bashou haiku. There are also a few parts that are just dense kanji, one of which is 'ore'.  Oh, and my glasses say 'megane' which means glasses.
Background: It says 'man squid', which can sort of be read as dan-ika, and is an injoke about my name.


So there you go. I think the 6 hours of inhaling rubber cement fumes went to my head, because I utterly haven't had a brain today. So I'm going to go crochet and watch The Hunchback of Notre Dame with Derek Jacobi as Frollo. Excited! Thank you, Netflix!

--
Listening to: Let It Die by Three Days Grace. This song always reminds me of one of my bleach fanfics (which is mary sue wish-fulfillment and therefore will never see the light of day). I loves me some Grimmjow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stir up the dust--leave a comment, start a discussion, or tell me about your cats!