Wednesday, February 22, 2012

january goals recap


More than halfway through February. Because that's apparently how I roll. Plus, I can be so unusually creative at finding ways to procrastinate while avoiding writing, so I figured I may as well take the time to do something at least slightly productive by finally updating this thing!





Rewrite (at least) one of my novels.
Well, I at least printed out the last part of my first novel so I could get started on editing it, but I've mostly been focusing on finishing another WIP before working on editing. And March will probably be straight production, as my writers' group is doing our own NaNo, but maybe I can take more time in the summer to focus on editing.

 I have two first draft finished novels (working names 'Gold' and 'Mother of Sky'), but I'm not sure which one I'll work on first. It would do good to try and make sense of Gold, but it's 165k, versus Mother's 90k. Having less to work with and worry about is definitely a temptation, but I'm afraid that if I put off Gold because it's longer, I'll never do anything with it. Plus, Mother of Sky is definitely a series, and I don't have plans to do more stories in the Gold universe, so it's be good to get that entire project finished.

So, not much on this front--I could say school has been more crazy than I've expected, but really, I've just been more lazy than I expected. Need to stop that. Maybe I should give up cracked.com and imgur.com for lent? Not that I'm Catholic, but it seems like it would be a useful goal to pursue.

Finish my fanfic.
Ha. Haven't even touched it. Though I got a review the other day begging me to update, so there's the guilt monster again.

Weekly Artist Dates/walk more often.
A more sad Ha! here. Haven't done a single artist date or walk since the start of the year. Part of it is my odd sleep schedule--when you wake up at 5 pm to the sun already setting, it's not very inspiring to go out and walk in the cold and dark. But I did at least start up another daily photography goal. That at least usually gets me outside and wandering about the backyard.

Design a large knitting pattern.
Well, I haven't been designing, but I've been thinking about working out the proper gauge for the heart square double-knitting project I've been working on to turn out closer to 36x36 with the border. I'll have to write a blog post about this project. I'm rather happy with the decision to do it, even if I am 3 squares behind my self-imposed goal.

Stock my etsy shop, and keep it that way.
Thinking about it doesn't really count, but I did spend a good part of yesterday considering what I could start working on soon to now to actually get this off the ground. I think a good place to start would be figuring out exactly how much a pair of wings costs me to make and ship, probably by making a bunch until I run out a skein of yarn, then sending a pair to my cousin in Provo. She can tell me whether they ship well and hold up to repeated wearing. Also, I'd love to collaborate with her to add duct tape elements, since that's her forté.

I feel almost like I should start with the small stuff, phone cases and things, but what good is a shop called 'Crocheted Wings' if it doesn't have wings in it? Oh, and I need to do that business-ey think for Utah at some point. Hmm.

Blog more often. And manage my online presence.
One more Krabappel Ha! to the list. Though I have somewhat gotten back on Twitter, which I hadn't touched since the first of December.

Clean the house.
Well, I've been plotting with my mom and sister about the best way to go about this, but not much actual cleaning has happened. It doesn't help that I was sick, then my sister, then my mom, then me a bit, then my mom again. Stupid flu season!

So overall . . . this is why I don't make resolutions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stir up the dust--leave a comment, start a discussion, or tell me about your cats!