Wednesday, June 29, 2011

weird pain

This is random. Anyway, I'm a hopeless romantic, and nothing is better for me than angst: star-crossed lovers and hopeless relationships that somehow manage to make it (or don't). I eat that up like candy. However, sometimes when I'm reading or watching TV or a movie, and there's a big momentous scene--like a couple that's been denying that they love each other and finally come out with it, or someone is injured--I'll get this sharp shooting pain in my neck and chest. It's almost like when you say your heart leaps out of your chest, like the emotion becomes too much for my heart to hold in.

The first time I really remember noticing it was when I was maybe 16, and reading the Black Magician Trilogy, and a couple I'd really been rooting for finally got together. Just as they finally admitted that they cared for each other, and I was very excited for this moment, pain shot from my chest up the sides of my neck, where the big veins are. It kept up basically throughout the whole scene. And I've noticed lately that it happens on the insides of my wrists too, also where the veins are. I've been rewatching one of my favourites series, Junjou Romantica, and whenever something remotely angst-romantic happens, so does the weird pain.

Since I couldn't find anything online about this, I just wanted to put this out there, and was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar? It's really hard to describe in a google search though, so I might search some more in hopes of finding information, or at least anyone else who knows what I'm talking about. I hope it doesn't mean something is terribly wrong with my heart or blood pressure or something, especially since I know I have a high resting heart rate that I've been meaning to get to the doctor about.

So anyway, I'll have a better blog post describing June soon enough, before 50/90 starts. I just haven't had the time or motivation lately to just sit and write it out.


edit: I asked around, and apparently the same thing happens to my sister and cousin, especially when reading. And we're all writers too. It looks like it's just a weird response to extreme emotion--we just get really attached to our characters!


--
Listening to: Dear Agony by Breaking Benjamin. I've been listening to this band a lot while working; I like the mix of soft and hard. I love it when bands manage to do that well. I mean, I love the sound of the music in metal, but I just wish the main singers would sing and use harmony instead of screaming as often. I like some amount of screaming, especially if it's done well, but sometimes it just seems really over the top. I think a good example of this balance is My Curse by Killswitch Engage. Pretty music mixed with harder music, some screaming and growling, then a nice vocal refrain and bridge. Anyway, that was a tangent. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stir up the dust--leave a comment, start a discussion, or tell me about your cats!