Monday, March 14, 2011

thoughts on rejection

I just got my first rejection letter for a story I submitted. I have mixed feelings about this. In my writing group, we say that rejection letters are something to celebrate and collect, because they mean you're sending out stories, or something. But it still would have been nice to be published. Oh well. (I need to actually ask my writing group why we celebrate them; just so we don't get bogged down and depressed?)

I'll take the opportunity tomorrow to look at markets and see if I can send it out again. Maybe I'll work on my other story that I could possibly sell--to fix the things my writing group pointed out--and send that out too. Because as nice as writing every day has been for simply producing words, it would also be good if I started editing and submitting what I've written.


Hmm. I just realized that, technically, that was my second rejection letter; I entered a series of poems in a Utah Arts Council contest a few years ago. But then again, I never got a rejection letter for that--they just emailed everyone with a list of winners, and I wasn't one of them. So first rejection letter, second rejection?

In other news, I'm up to 23 days with my writing goal kept. That's over 10,000 words written so far. Not sure how many of those words are publishable, but that's not why I write. Yes, it would be very nice to get published, but at the same time, I write because I see stories around me everywhere, all the time, and because I genuinely enjoy it. And this is giving me a chance to thumb my nose at procrastination Danica, who would be perfectly happy with writing only when the mood strikes her. Take that, rejection letter! I didn't write those words for you; I wrote them for me!

In non-writing related news, I've been trying to finish the shawl I'm making for my mom. I'm determined to use the entire skein of Caron One Pound yarn, plus some Red Heart for the border, so this will really be more of a large triangular blanket than a shawl, but she's good with that. It's warm and comfy; that's all that matters.

I've also been making something random, which I will elaborate on in a later blog post when I have more of it done. I've been having a noticeable manic period the past few days, so I've been switching from project to project at lightning speed. And yet, I've still managed to avoid housework. Hmm. Usually manic makes me clean like crazy.

Anyway, way past time for bed now. If stupid daylight saving hadn't hit yesterday, it would only be somewhat past time for bed. *grumble* And since I've only been up about 12 hours, I'm not really tired, but I have plans for tomorrow, so I'll try to catch at least some sleep before then.

--
Listening to: Thy Fleeing Time by Daargard. I love the sound of this song, with the bells and the different vocals. Very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stir up the dust--leave a comment, start a discussion, or tell me about your cats!